USS Yorktown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warp Drive Possibility

4 posters

Go down

Warp Drive Possibility Empty Warp Drive Possibility

Post by orrinjelo Tue May 07, 2013 12:46 am

http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will-build-its-very-first-warp-drive

So Dr. White will be presenting in a couple weeks at a conference with an "update" of what's been happening. Pretty exciting, eh?

For those of you who are too lazy to read the article, this guy has thought up a new design to the warp bubble, which is similar to what is explained in the Star Trek universe. In reality, the ST version still uses up too much energy, even if we had all that anti-matter stored up. His idea, he proposes, is very affordable. He's even got a way he can get some experimental results by using a interferometer, a fancy name for a setup that measures -very- small changes using light. If he can warp space as his theory suggests, this may be a gigantic bound in interstellar travel.

Edit: Who's idea was it to disable posting external links for 7 days? Razz

Last edited by orrinjelo on Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
orrinjelo
orrinjelo
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Warp Drive Possibility Empty Re: Warp Drive Possibility

Post by Admin Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 am

Didnt know link posting was disabled, but I find this very interesting...I will turn off that feature immediately.

Admin
Captain
Captain

https://yorktown.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am

Links should show up now. Its a feature enabled by default...had to dig to find it.

Admin
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Can you say permaboner?

Back to top Go down

Post by orrinjelo Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Link added.
orrinjelo
orrinjelo
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Micheal Luther Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 pm

I can't say i understand how you move space. I mean, how do you move nothing and ride the wave across the universe?
Micheal Luther
Micheal Luther
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by orrinjelo Tue May 07, 2013 10:15 pm

From Popsci:
When the device is turned on, White’s setup looks cinematically perfect: The laser is bright red, and the two beams cross like light sabers. There are four ceramic capacitors made of barium titanate inside the ring, which White charges to 23,000 volts. White has spent the last year and a half designing the experiment, and he says that the capacitors will “establish a very large potential energy.” Yet when I ask how it would create the negative energy necessary to warp space-time he becomes evasive. “That gets into . . . I can tell you what I can tell you. I can’t tell you what I can’t tell you,” he says. He explains that he has signed nondisclosure agreements that prevent him from revealing the particulars. I ask with whom he has the agreements. He says, “People come in and want to talk about some things. I just can’t go into any more detail than that.”

I got confused when he mentioned "negative energy." I mean, energy is a relative quantity, isn't it? You can define a potential energy to be negative, and things still work out, right? Then I found this:

In the most basic of definitions, gravity is the attractive force between two objects. Every object, no matter how small, exerts some attractive force on surrounding matter. Einstein’s insight was that this force is a curvature in space-time. Negative energy, though, is gravitationally repulsive. Instead of drawing space-time together, negative energy would push it apart. Roughly speaking, for his model to work, Alcubierre needed negative energy to expand the space-time behind a craft.

Though no one has ever measured negative energy, quantum mechanics predicts that it exists, and scientists should be able to create it in a lab. One way to generate it would be through the Casimir effect: Two parallel conducting plates, placed very closely together, should create small amounts of negative energy. Where Alcubierre’s model broke down is that it required a vast amount of negative energy, orders of magnitude more than most scientists estimate could be produced.

White says he’s found a way around that limitation. In a computer simulation, White varied the strength and geometry of a warp field. He determined that, in theory, he could produce a warp bubble using millions of times less negative energy than Alcubierre predicted and perhaps little enough that a space craft could carry the means of producing it. “The findings,” he says, “change it from impractical to plausible.”

On a large scale, gravity distorts space. There are cases in the quantum world (really, really small, or really, really fast) that distort space as well. So, distortion of space is plausible. And that snippet kind of made sense to me in terms of negative energy, since I'm familiar with zero-point energy (any Stargate fans here?).

What I'm thinking here is he's going to be using electromagnetic forces to distort space. Now, I'm not sure how he plans on avoiding strange phenomena with high fields affecting laser light, but at least it is plausible, not impossible.
orrinjelo
orrinjelo
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 07, 2013 10:55 pm

I found that highly entertainment. Big star gate fan here too. Haven't heard of zero point energy anywhere other than that show

Admin
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayne Wed May 08, 2013 2:09 pm

I think the first warp capable ship needs to look just like the enterprise!

Mayne
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by orrinjelo Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:56 am

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110015936_2011016932.pdf

May be over your head (and mine), but I'll post more later.

Here is his Warp Field 102 Presentation link (presentation pdf and links to videos):
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20130011213

Ah.  Found the conference schedule: http://www.icarusinterstellar.org/congress-schedule/

He won't present the update until August.
orrinjelo
orrinjelo
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum